Turkey Meatloaf



So I bought ground turkey thinking I would start making my own dog food, but once I did the math it seemed more expensive to make and more time consuming so I was left with lots of leftover ground turkey. Greg says"why don't you make your husband some turkey meatloaf?" So here I am on the new boat with a bigger galley and an oven....the problem was trying to find a turkey meatloaf recipe that didn't suck or contained ketchup (Greg says yuck). I combined about 3 recipes, one from epicurious, one from food network and one from Martha Stewart.

1 1/2 lb. ground turkey
4 tbls. tomato paste
1 yellow onion(cut into 1/8 and grind in processor)
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1 egg
1 egg white
3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
2 tbls. worcestershire
1 tbl. dried thyme
1 tbl. dried oregano
1 tbl. white pepper
salt

Preheat oven to 400.
I combined all dry ingredients first then added ground turkey, egg, 1/2 of the tomato paste, 1 tbl. worcestershire, garlic and onion and placed into a loaf pan. I then borrowed Martha's topping which was a combo of the egg white, the rest of the tomato paste and a tbl. of the worcestershire (man that word is long and hard to remember how to spell) and whisked it with a fork until blended and spooned it onto the meatloaf. Now in a normal oven it would take about 1 hr and 15 minutes or until the middle reaches 180 degrees but on the boat we have a super oven and this baby cooked in only 45 minutes.

It was delicious!




Comments