Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf


Originally when I started this blog my intention was to write about cooking in small spaces, but since we moved onto a bigger boat with a gas stove, the blog just became more of a "whatever I made for dinner" thing. Now that we are currently at sea it's become a "whatever I can find in the galley" thing. I had ground beef that needed to be cooked and a mish mash of other ingredients. I looked up some recipes for a base guide but just kind of ended up winging it. So those who know me know about my infatuation with bacon. I've heard about bacon wrapped meatloaf before but surprisingly enough I have never made one. Here it is:

1 1/2 ground beef
1 tbl. white pepper
1 tsp. salt
2 tbls. marinara sauce
1/4 c. bread crumbs
2 tbl. milk
1 egg beaten silly
1 tbl. worcestershire
1 tbl. dried thyme
1 tbl. dried oregano
bacon.....bacon.....

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients in a small bowl. Mix bread crumbs and milk and let sit for about 5 minutes then add the egg. Combine everything including the ground beef in a larger bowl. Mix well. In a loaf pan layer the bacon and let hang over the sides, then add the beef mixture and fold the bacon back over so that it covers the meatloaf. Bake in the oven for about an hour, at the end I jacked up the heat to about 475 so that the bacon got crispy. Everyones ovens will differ, mine runs pretty hot.

Enjoy!!

Comments