Smoked Pork Chops & Grits

I miss my smoker. It was a good purchase. $80 and I could use it as a grill. Alas I live on a boat now and there was no room for it. I shed a tear when I sold it before our journey. In order to fill a void in my life I purchased a stove top smoker from Amazon.com. It came in handy during our trip when I used it to smoke fish. Anyway, I love a good pork chop and they get really nice and juicy when you smoke them. I started the smoker on high then reduced the head to medium after about five minutes. It's a really easy recipe and doesn't require a lot of prep time.

Pork:
4 center cut pork chops around 1-1/12 inch thick
1 tsp. barbecue seasoning
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

Grits:
1/2 cup white grits
2 cups water
2 tbs. unsalted butter
crumbled cheddar cheese
salt
Texas Pete

Season pork chops with all the dry ingredients. Prepare a stove top smoker with hickory wood chips, and place over a medium heat. Leave the lid cracked open as the pan heats on the stove. Place the pork chops in the smoker. As the pan begins to smoke, completely shut the lid and allow the pork chops to smoke until an instant read thermometer registers 140 degrees F, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, while the pork chops are smoking, place the grits and water in a saucepan and heat the grits until they are boiling. Turn down to simmer and cover. Stir occasionally for about 15-20 minutes. Add cheese, butter, salt and Texas Pete to taste.

Adapted from Food Network-Emeril Lagasse

Comments