Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs-Tijuana Style



My first bacon wrapped hot dog was not in Tijuana. It was in a beautiful place called Barra de Navidad which is south of Puerto Vallarta. It was delicious and I crave them often. The traditional street dog comes with yellow mustard and ketchup but I omit those ingredients. I also like to use hot dogs that don't have the first ingredient as "mechanically separated" which grosses me out. I also think the quality of bacon is key. I use a hard smoked thin cut bacon, it works better and gets crispier faster in the pan. Lastly, the bun. I found some wonderful fresh baked buns here in Aruba from Bright Bakery and they work great. I like to butterfly them and throw them open side down in a pan with salted butter until they are golden brown, just like my mom used to make them.

So you need good quality hot dogs, bacon and buns. After preparing the buns, I use the same pan to fry the dogs. I wrap one slice of bacon for each hot dog and fry them until the bacon is crisp and cooked thoroughly, turning them every few minutes.

As far as condiments, I like:

jalapeno slices
dill pickles
diced white onion
diced tomato
lime mayonnaise (you can make your own by squeezing fresh lime juice with mayo)
Cholula hot sauce


Comments