Swordfish with Cherry Tomato & Caper Relish & Blue Cheese Polenta


When you Google swordfish, John Travolta's name pops up. Huh? Anyway, a neighbor of ours on the docks offered us some fresh swordfish the other day and we said hell yes! I have some bad past memories of swordfish as does Greg. Some of you may know that it tends to carry some unmentionable items in it. I learned that when I was training to be a kitchen manager at the Charthouse. My friend Matt Orlando taught me how to cut fish and my first fish I cut was swordfish. I saw some interesting things in it......
Anyway, Greg and I were a little reluctant to try it, jeez it's been at least 12 years since I have eaten swordfish. And many more years for Greg. But again when someone offers you fresh fish you do not turn it down. I repeat, you do not turn it down. After searching around for a good recipe I decided to just wing it. I also made a little polenta on the side (Greg says grits I say polenta). I added some crumbled blue cheese at the end just because.



2 swordfish steaks
10 cherry tomatoes
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 generous tbs. of capers
1 tbs. fresh parsley
splash of caper juice
s & p
olive oil

1 cup polenta
s & p
2 tbs. butter
4 tbs. crumbled blue cheese

Marinate swordfish with a few splashes of olive oil and s & p for about an hour in a shallow glass container. Meanwhile cut cherry tomatoes in quarters and mix together with the garlic, capers, caper juice, parsley, s & p and a few splashes of olive oil. Let that sit for an hour. Heat an oven friendly pan over medium high heat with about 2 tbs. of olive oil and pan sear the steaks for about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer into a 400 degree oven and roast for about ten minutes until the steaks are cooked thoroughly.

The polenta was easy, it was quick polenta so no need to give you directions on that. I just decided that at the last moment to add blue cheese.

Comments