Shredded Pork Tostadas

I'm usually always craving Mexican food. Some gooey nachos, a gigantic burrito or fish tacos....the list goes on. I haven't been able to find any good Mexican food on Aruba so in order to satisfy my cravings I have to make my own. I read through a few recipes and came up with these pork tostadas. Greg cooks the pork shoulder (butt) in a slow cooker for about 12 hours. I then take it and do whatever I please with it.


Serves 2
pork shoulder, slow-cooked and shredded
4 corn tortillas
1/3 c. vegetable oil for frying
2 roma tomatoes chopped and seeded
1/4 chopped white onion
2 tbs. chopped cilantro
fresh lime juice
1/4 habanero pepper or 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
1/2 avocado, sliced
0 % Greek yogurt for topping
1 can black beans, whole
1 tsp. ground cumin
salt
pepper


Cook the pork shoulder on low for about 12 hours. Greg usually adds some crushed red pepper for heat. Remove from slow cooker and shred into a bowl. Set aside.
Meanwhile make the salsa by combining tomatoes through peppers, adding s & p to taste. Depending on your heat index, take care in how much hot pepper you want to add. Stir and set aside. Heat can of drained black beans in a saucepan on low and add cumin and salt and pepper. I added a little bit of water to prevent drying out. Mash them with the back of a wooden spoon and set aside.
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Place a cup of the pork onto non-stick pan and scatter around. Crisp in oven about 5-10 minutes, be careful not to let it dry out.
Meanwhile heat oil in small frying pan on medium high heat. Fry tortillas until lightly golden brown a let them drain on paper towels.
To assemble, place one tortilla on the plate then top with a few spoonfuls of black beans. Top with next tortilla, then pork, salsa, avocado and top with Greek yogurt. Add hot sauce if desired. The only thing I would add is cojita cheese or some sort of crumbly Mexican cheese (unavailable in Aruba).

Enjoy!





Comments